Diabetes puts people with this disease at risk of serious and debilitating foot problems.
It is important for people with diabetes to be aware of problems associated with their feet such as:
- Damage to the nerves which can cause pain
- Low blood supply to the feet which dimishes the foot’s ability to heal
Consequences of these problems include:
- Damage to the foot that you cannot feel due to poor circulation
- Foot ulcers
- In an extreme case diabetes can lead to amputation.
Prevent foot problems by:
- maintain good blood sugar level control
- inspect your feet daily
- see your podiatrist regularly for foot health checks and advice
- keep feet clean
- wear well fitting shoes
- don’t smoke
- exercise regularly
Seek treatment immediately if you have any concerns.